Online Yoga for Athletes Teacher Training and Certification
This one-of-a-kind course with America’s leading expert on yoga for athletes will help you take your teaching to the next level and empower you to teach athletes of all sports and levels in studio, gym, or one-on-one settings. Earn CEUs and expand your understanding of yoga, sports training, and the connections between them.
Sage Rountree is author of seven books on yoga for athletes, Runner’s World yoga expert, and Yoga Journal’s Active Yogi columnist. A coach and competitive endurance athlete as well as a skilled teacher trainer, she brings her wealth of knowledge and experience to bear in her lessons for athletes and yoga teachers interested in working with athletes and everyone.
Students from New York to New Zealand, Canada to Malawi, and Copenhagen to Kenya have loved this course and find that going all in on your teaching career reaps amazing gains. If you’ve been dreaming of working with athletes of all sports and levels, or even simply wondering how yoga fits in your training, this course will give you the concrete skills to serve your students, elevate their game and focus, keep them safe and happy, and grow your business so you can do more of the work you love.
If you’d rather take this unique yoga for athletes teacher training in person, Sage offers it several times each year across the United States. See Sage’s schedule and sign up here!
Combining video footage from Sage’s weeklong teachers’ intensive with online classes, reading, and prompts for self-study, this course empowers teachers of any style of yoga to begin teaching yoga to athletes. It will also be useful for coaches, PE teachers, and personal trainers.
In the course, we cover:
- Philosophy: learn clear and easy ways to describe yoga philosophy in ways your athletes will appreciate
- Physiology: consider the role yoga plays in the context of a training cycle so you can best serve your students
- Psychology: understand the needs, abilities, and limitations that athletes bring to a yoga practice
- Pedagogy: learn to modify classes for athletes of various sports, differing levels of experience, and all points in the training cycle
- Profession: define your business goals, structure a working plan, and embark on a successful career teaching yoga to athletes and everyone
- an e-book on teaching yoga to athletes and additional reading materials, which you can read on the site or in an e-reader, or print for future reference
- five lectures
- five group discussions, with more discussion online
- fifteen yoga practices to illustrate and integrate the principles we discuss (new in 2017: bonus practices from the summer in-person version of the course)
- extra materials, including a twelve-week sample syllabus
In addition, participants on the certification track receive full access to Sage’s sequence library.
Required reading (please purchase on your own or from Sage’s site): Sage Rountree, The Athlete’s Guide to Yoga, The Athlete’s Pocket Guide to Yoga, The Athlete’s Guide to Recovery, and The Runner’s Guide to Yoga.
Work at your own pace and at a time that’s convenient for you, and use your lifetime access to review the materials (and new additions) at your leisure.
Sage is happy to answer any questions you have about the program. First, consult this list of frequently asked questions, then use the contact form in the footer of this page for a personal reply.
Teaching Yoga for Athletes can be completed in various ways—choose the one that best suits your needs.
Teaching Yoga to Athletes, Full Certification Track
When you choose the certification track, in addition to receiving lifetime access to all course content, you’ll develop your skills even further by working with Sage’s direct help. In completing homework assignments, writing a final exam, and recording and reviewing a teaching video, you’ll sharpen your understanding of how to teach yoga to athletes, develop a well of sequences and approaches to help you serve any student, and receive direct mentoring from Sage and collaboration from other participants.
As you progress toward certification, enjoy as much back-and-forth as you like with Sage via e-mail, phone, and Skype. Together, we’ll be sure that all your questions are thoroughly answered so your understanding of each topic is clear.
Upon completion of an exam and submission and critique of a teaching video, participants who are already teaching at the Yoga Alliance 200-hour level or have comparable experience will receive a certification in teaching yoga to athletes. Teachers in training can complete the course alongside a yoga teacher training such as Sage’s eight-month program.
Upon certification, you’ll gain:
- access to robust new pages on the site featuring advice and routines for working with specific sports, injuries, and periods in the training cycle
- access to Sage’s full sequence library
- the support of your colleagues as well as Sage’s ongoing mentorship
- listing in an online directory of teachers working with athletes
- opportunities to assist Sage at retreats
- Content and Certification
Teaching Yoga to Athletes, Content Only, All 5 Units
If you’re confident in your teaching skills, a self-directed learner, and interested in the content only, enjoy all five units:
- Content Only
Or, work à la carte, at your own pace, one unit at a time. Buying any unit individually gets you lecture, discussion, and two practices, as well as prompts for your consideration and growth and resources for further study. It also gains you access to bonus materials, including a twelve-week class syllabus.
- Unit 1: Philosophy
- Unit 2: Physiology
- Unit 3: Psychology
- Unit 4: Pedagogy
- Unit 5: Profession
Upgrade to Certification
If you have completed the content portion of the class, either in person during a five-day intensive with Sage or online, you can upgrade to the certification track. You’ll gain access to new pages of the website, and you’ll receive Sage’s direct feedback on your homework, exam, and teaching video, as well as all the other benefits of certification:
- Full access to the online course content, including video lectures, practices, and class discussions
- Access to Sage’s full sequence library
- Opportunities to assist Sage at workshops
- Listing on the Colleagues page, an online directory of teachers specializing in teaching yoga to athletes, and a good source of referrals
- Additional content and community, including pages with completed rubrics and suggested routines for athletes of all sports
- Upgrade to Certification
Satisfaction guaranteed. If you aren’t completely happy with what you learn, you’ll receive a full refund.